Background

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Workout Wednesday

So I used to be skinny. Like, really skinny. Back in early high school, I was in amazing shape. I had also just hit puberty, hadn't started on birth control, and was working out several times a week. With dance classes, dance team, and show choir, I was easily getting a good sweat in at least 6 or 7 times a week. But then I got on birth control. Add 10 pounds. Then I quit dance and show choir. Add 10 pounds. Then I started battling with depression and a really horribly relationship. Add 10 pounds.

When I finally got to college, I was already an easy 30 pounds heavier than just 2 or 3 years ago. And as we all know, the freshmen 15 is a real thing. I just wasn't being healthy. I didn't work out hardly at all through undergrad, and is was only just this summer that I decided that I needed to make getting healthy a priority. I had graduated, I had an amazing job, and I thought I might finally be ready to start dating again. So I joined this awesome gym called Kees Camp. It's a pole fitness gym, but I did mostly fitness classes and stayed off the pole. The owner is such a kick-ass feminist and just an amazing woman all around. But $80 a month? I just can't  handle that right now. Don't get me wrong, the $80 is worth it! The instructors are amazing. But again, moolah. And with traveling about one week per month this fall for work, it just didn't make sense financially.

So a few weeks ago, my friend Andrea invited me to try out her gym. She's super fit and basically my goal in life is to have her bod. After a week, I joined. For $24 a month, I get unlimited classes and access to all the workout equipment. Not bad. The classes are hit-and-miss. I love the BodyAttack. It's hardcore. And BodyPump is good. I'm not a huge fan of the Zumba classes there, though. I miss Kee's Zumba.

The first week, I worked out 5 times in 7 days. Then 4 days the next week. Then Thanksgiving hit, and I was down to 3. But this week I was back up to 4 and hopefully I can stay with it. My ankles are giving me hell (thank you ballet) and I don't feel like I'm losing weight yet, but I'm motivated finally and I'm going to keep going. They say working out needs to become a lifestyle and not a 3x a week chore. For me, working out still sucks. But I'm doing it. I want to be healthy, and I want to feel good again. And the hot guys at the gym? Well they're just a bonus ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment