Why the obsession? First of all, there's eye candy:
"There were 36 homicides last night. 480 sexual assaults. 3411 robberies. 3685 aggravated assaults, all at gun point. And if anyone thinks those crimes could have been prevented if the victims themselves had been carrying guns, I only remind you that the President of the United States was shot last night while surrounded by the best-trained armed guards in the history of the world."
Third: The awesome trivia weaved in each episode. Name the only three words in the English language that begin with "dw-" Answer: dwell, dwindle, dwarf.
Fourth: The amazing writers:
- "I will once again betray the sisterhood. I saw you, you, you, and you roll your eyes."
- "There are five White House staffers in the room right now. I'd like to say to the 1.6 of you who are stoned right now, it's time to share."
- Donna: What do you think it's about?
Josh: I don't know. But this is the White House, so it's probably not that important.
- Josh: I drink from the Keg of Glory, Donna. Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.
- Sam: About a week ago I accidentally slept with a prostitute.
Toby: You accidentally slept with a prostitute.
Sam: Call girl.
Toby: I don't understand, did you trip over something?
:: Which West Wing character are you? ::
Finally, this clip from Season 2, episode 3. President Bartlet rails into this homophobic Christian radio host. It's pretty awesome.
So, Mrs. Landingham, what's next?