Background

Friday, January 10, 2014

Feminist Friday: Rape Jokes that are actually funny and not victim blamey and gross

So ya'll know my stance on rape jokes. They're horrible, problematic, re-traumatizing, offensive, and harmful. And also just not funny.
 "Quite honestly, it’s not even because I particularly find the jokes personally triggering anymore; I generally just find them pathetic and inexplicable. I’m more bothered by the fact that the jokes normalize and effectively minimize the severity of rape and thusly perpetuate the rape culture. And I’m bothered by the thought of a woman who’s recently been raped, who’s just experienced what may be the worst thing that will ever happen to her, and turns on the telly to watch her favorite comedian and have a much-needed laugh—only to hear him using that horrible, life-changing thing as the butt of a joke. About cologne. Or a bad movie. For fuck’s sake." Source

But I have come across two jokes that are funny. What makes them not gross and damaging like most rape jokes is that the butt of the joke isn't on the victim, it's on society, on the rapist.



No comments:

Post a Comment